Find your trip to Illorsuit
Illorsuit, which on old maps is spelt Igdlorssuit, is one of the many settlements in the world's largest municipality, Qaasuitsup. The town is located on the northeast coast of an island of the same name and the livelihoods of the local inhabitants are based primarily on fishing for Greenland halibut and hunting seals. The island is situated just north of Nuussuaq, the large peninsula at the mouth of the Uummannaq Fjord.
Owing to its location surrounded by beautiful, high mountains, the sun does not shine in Illorsuit between 11 October and 4 March. Illorsuit has a service building, and the church, which is from 1923, with 130 seats
Experiences in Illorsuit
- Means 'the many large houses'
- Lars-Emil Johansen, a former Prime Minister of Greenland's Home Rule Government, was born here
- The church is from 1923
- Approx. 100 kilometres from Uummannaq
- Approx. 70 inhabitants
- There are helicopter connections during the winter.
Travel from Kangerlussuaq to Ilulissat, then go to Qaarsut by plane. Then go by helicopter to Uummannaq and then to Illorsuit.
- By foot or by sea with locals.
Dogsleds are a frequent means of transportation during winter and spring